By Michelle Pariat
Fashion accessories are one of the most underappreciated and underrated add-ons when it comes to fashion. They can easily make or break your look. They can either be the star of your outfit or something that compliments it.
A small change made by an accessory can make a big difference in the look and feel of your outfit.
Over accessorizing can spoil the outfit just as under accessorizing can make any outfit look boring.
Fashion accessories can include belts, bags, shoes, hats, sunglasses, watches, headbands, hair clips, and jewelry like earrings, rings, necklaces and bracelets among others.
When it comes to earnings there are just too many options to choose from. So here are 6 staple earrings you need in your jewelry collection.
- Stud – Stud earrings are one of the most common types of earrings found in the market and in our collection. They can range from a simple diamond or a pearl stud or it can a heavily embellished piece and can be dawned upon on days you want to vamp up your look. Plain diamond studs look especially pretty with a high ponytail and pearl studs look elegant with a high bun or a loose braid. Embellished and bigger studs, on the other hand, look gracious with a low bun, especially on special occasions. These are the type of earrings that look good with any hairstyle and with any outfit. They are the easiest to style.
- Hoops– Hoops are baddies of earrings. They’ve made a comeback in recent years. There are the simplest earrings you can find and are also the simplest way to boost an outfit. Smaller hoops that are the size of finger rings or smaller go best with a tight low bun. A medium-sized hoop goes best with a high ponytail or with a high bun accompanied by a bandana. Large hoops, on the other hand, that is, hoops that are the size of your wrist or bigger go best with loose let down hair, either swept behind the shoulders or let loose on just one shoulder. Hoops look especially pretty with casual outfits like a t-shirt and a pair of jeans or with a nice body-con dress.
- Teardrop– Teardrop earrings are elegant earrings either worn with a formal or semi-formal outfit. They look best with dresses, skirts, and pantsuits. They go well with a low bun either tight or loose or loose wavy hair. Teardrop earrings embellished with diamonds look best with formal outfits and the ones without embellishment look good with a semi-formal outfit as well.
- Jhumka – Jhumkas are Indian traditional bell-shaped earrings. They look best with full desi outfits like Saris, Salwar kameez, Ghagras, Lehengas, and so on as well as semi desi outfits like a pair of jeans and a Kurti. There are several types of Jhumkas like the traditional gold Jhumkas, silver Jhumkas, embellished Jhumkas, Clay Jhumkas, Kashmiri ones, and so on. Jhumkas are widely worn by Indian brides. These earrings look splendid with a tight bun.
- Tassel – tassel earrings could either have string tassels or chain tassels. String tassel earrings are more casually worn as compared to chain tassel earrings. They look good with almost any hairstyle and go nicely with sunglasses. These earrings also give a fierce tribal look or a bohemian one. Chain tassel earrings, on the other hand, has a more formal taste. They look best with dresses, pants suits and so on.
- Dangler– Dangler earrings are the fanciest earrings one can own. These earrings look great with formal outfits and are mostly statement accessories. They come in all shapes and sizes and look best with formal outfits. They look good with both letdown hair as well as tied up hair.
- Match the hardware of your earrings to the hardware of other jewelry you have on, or the hardware on your current outfit. Eg- if the zip of your jacket is gold, make sure your earrings are also gold. Don’t mix a gold earring and a silver necklace on the same outfit. Keep the hardware cohesive.
- If you don’t have piercings, you can go for stick-on, clip-on and magnetic earrings.
- For fake gold earrings, use a clear spray on them to prevent them from tarnishing.
- Use clear nail polish on the pin of the earrings if they cause your ear to itch.
With these tips, you can take your outfit game up a notch. Earrings can either complement your face or overpower it, so make sure you choose the right size. My last tip to you is to smile. It’s the best accessory you can ever wear. No matter what you wear, once you smile, your look can shoot up from a 3 to a 10.