Top models like Kendal Jenner, Gigi Hadid, Bella Hadid, Emily Ratajkowski, Hailey Bieber and even Madison Beer among others have something in common when they’re not on the runway or a shoot. That is, they always look effortlessly chic no matter where they are and what they’re doing. It’s not just the way they look but also the clothes they wear. It looks like they didn’t even try. There are days where we too, want to look chic without trying too hard or taking too long. If you want to know how to look like a model on the streets and how to get the model off duty look, here are a few tips you can follow.
1. Go for the neutrals- you can never go wrong with neutrals. Sometimes you can but rarely. Neutral colors include white, beige, cream, off white, brown, black, navi, grey and so on. These colours are interchangeable and it’s unlikely that your outfits will clash when opting for these colours. White tops like tank tops, bralettes, white T-shirts and hoodies are very common among models. The goal here is to always look comfortable. You can pair these white tops with anything. If you’re wearing a hoodie, then go for an oversized denim jacket. If it’s a tank top or a bralette, you can go like that, if the weather is warm or you can pair it with a cropped denim jacket. Black leggings and skinny jeans are also loved by models. You can just throw on a hoodie, a pair of skinny black jeans and a pair of white sneakers and you’re instantly cute.
2. Sunglasses- paparazzi follow these models everywhere and they sometimes don’t even have makeup on. Sometimes they’re just out of the gym or out of a spa and they’re walking around barefaced. They try to look a little put together and to cover their face by wearing sunglasses. They can be of any shape, cat eye, aviators, round glasses or whatever they are. They are always on a model, if they’re not worn, they’re inside their bags. They also give a mysterious and busy look. Like you’re not just fooling around. You’re busy and you have a place to be at.
3. Jeans – models love jeans. Be it skinny jeans, mom jeans, ripped jeans, shorts, boot cut or any type of jeans, models will always be seen wearing them because they’re easy to work with. Blue and black jeans are the most common types. These jeans again can be paired with anything like a neutral colored top and a pair of white sneakers or boots.
4. Footwear – Ankle boots and white sneakers are the most common footwear when it comes to the model off duty look. Boots like the Chelsea boots, sock boots and doc martens are the most common. For sneakers, the most common ones are the Nike air force ones and sometimes converse. It’s very rare to see models or flip-flops or platform heels while in the streets.
5. Hair- When sporting this look, hair should not look like it took hours to do. Either let your hair down or tie it in a low or high bun. Don’t go for hairdos that look like you’re attending a wedding. Overly styled hair is not common among models off duty. You can also add hats like a baseball hat on a bad hair day. A pony tail is also a very smart look on a model.
6. Makeup-keep your makeup simple. Don’t go for over the top eye looks and bold eye shadows. Only wear some mascara, a little bit of blush and a nude lipstick or lip balm. You can also brush up your brows with a spoolie and some brow gel. If you have sparse eyebrows, fill them in with a color that is lighter than your natural brow color.
7. Jewelry- keep your jewelry as minimal as possible. Stick to one piece of jewelry. If you’re wearing a pair of hoops, skip the necklace or the rings. If you want to wear more than one piece of jewelry, make sure that their design is simple and not too bedazzled and their hardware should match. Do go for beads or pearls or chunky colorful pieces. Stick to simple pieces.
8. Bags- When it comes to bags, you can carry any type of bag. Just make sure they don’t look too high school-ish. Fanny packs and sling bags are the most common.
a) Seek inspiration from your favorite models. Look through their Instagram or google their off duty look.
b) You don’t have to be skinny to look like a model. There are many beautiful plus sized models as well. Ashley Graham is one of them.
c) The goal of this look is not to look like you tried very hard. d) Don’t go for crazy nail arts.