So what is a capsule wardrobe you ask? A capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few timeless and staple clothes. Almost all of these clothes can be paired with each other are usually in neutral colors. Having a capsule wardrobe makes it easier for you to get dressed as everything can be paired with any other piece of clothing you own and you won’t be overwhelmed with the unlimited choices you have at home.
It comes to your rescue when travelling and you’ll be sure to have extra spaces in your closet because of the small number of clothes you now own. Of course you can own a few pieces of accent colors but keep them limited. When building a capsule wardrobe, you might want to invest in quality materials since you’ll be wearing them again and again and so that they last a long time. If you’re reading this article, you’re either thinking of building a capsule wardrobe or just want to know more about it.
Here are a few pieces you need that will give you a head start on building your capsule wardrobe.
- L.B.D– I’m pretty sure you’ve heard of the little black dress. It is a versatile outfit that you can grab for different occasions. A cocktail night, the office party, date night, girl’s night out? You name it. A little black dress will always come to your rescue. All you need to do is jazz it up with accessories. Either throw on a belt, or a necklace or even pair it up with different types of shoes, and you won’t fail to make your dress look different every time you wear it. Just make sure the dress is of a simple silhouette.
- White t-shirt– A white shirt is like a blank canvas. You can pair it with a pair of jeans for a fast outfit or even with a pair of trousers. Opt for good quality materials as this will go though many washes. A v-neck line is also an added bonus as this will elongate your face and make you look slimmer.
- Black/nude heel pumps– These shoes are for anything, the office, a party, date night, a meeting, an interview and the list goes on. You can pair these with a pair of jeans, a black dress, a pair of trousers, a suit and so on. A Nude pump can also elongate your legs which is an added bonus.
- White dress shirt– a white dress shirt can be worn on a night out as well as to a party. For the office, button down for the second button onward and pair it with a straight cut midi skirt and a pair of black pumps. To transition this to a party, open a couple buttons at the top, put on some dangly earrings, a red lipstick and let down your hair with a nice side parting.
- Black blazer– a black blazer is a must have. Pair it with a straight cut midi dress and a pair of black heeled pumps for a professional look. You can also pair it with a white dress shirt and a pair of trousers, perfect for a presentation or a job interview.
- Black trousers– doesn’t matter if you call them trousers or dress pants, this piece of clothing will fix most of your fashion dilemmas. You can dress them down by cuffing them at the bottom and pair them with a white t-shirt and a pair of white sneakers. Instant chic. You can also dress them up with a dress shirt preferably silk and a pair of black heels. Perfect transition.
- A statement watch– there are many options when it comes to this one. You can either have a simple watch with a black strap or a full hardware watch either gold or silver. If you’re opting for a full metal watch, you might want to invest in two colors, gold and a silver one. A silver watch with silver jewellery and a gold watch with gold jewellery. A rose gold watch can also be a good investment. When going for a gold watch, invest on a good quality so that the gold does not tarnish.
- A trench coat– this coat can come in handy in the colder weather and during the rain. It can either be black, beige or brown. You can layer under it when it is extra cold. You can pair this coat with a black dress, a pair of trousers, jeans and so on.
- Blue jeans – this pair of jeans be either skinny fir or mom jeans. You can even have both for your different mood. Blue jeans look great with a white t- shirt and a pair of jeans. Here is an example for a nice outfit, a pair of jeans, a pair of white sneakers, a black blazer and viola! Instant chic.
- Black straight cut midi-skirt– a back midi skirt can be transition from day to night easily by just changing you the makeup or shoes or even hair. For a casual look you can pair this skirt with a pair of white sneakers and a white tee and a denim jacket. For a formal look, you can pair it up with a pair of black heeled pumps and a white dress shirt and some statement earrings.
- Other pieces you might want to add to your capsule wardrobe is a denim jacket, a statement hat, a pair of white sneakers, a pair of boots, a stripe shirt, a good quality leather bag, simple earrings and necklaces, a scarf and a formal clutch bag.
- For these staple clothes, good quality is always the best option as these pieces will be worn time and again. In this case it is quality over quantity.
- Make sure all of these pieces are of a simple silhouette so they don’t clash with each other.
- You might also want to have a few statement pieces for special occasions, holidays and events.